With all the awareness days and months out there, it can be hard to keep track but there’s one in September that we can (and should!) really wrap our arms around … Self Care Awareness month.
So, what exactly do we mean by self-care? It’s basically any activity that we do deliberately (that word is KEY) in order to take care of our mental, emotional and physical health.
We are often our own worst enemies and tend to ignore the most important person in our lives … ourselves. But, if you’re not properly taking care of yourself then how can you expect to take care of all the others in your life? Simply put, you can’t.
This month, we challenge you to intentionally plan out activities that put YOURSELF first. While it may feel selfish at first, it’s not, we promise! Self-care gives you the resources you need to be compassionate to everyone else in your life. Think about giving compassion like filling a bucket; you can’t fill someone else’s if you don’t have enough of your own!
The benefits of self-care are almost limitless:
- Improved productivity
- Decreased stress levels
- Increased self-esteem
- Better physical health
- Increased capacity to take care of others
Luckily, The Shops at Willow Park is a one-stop shop for all your self-care needs, whether you have 30 minutes, a couple hours or a whole day to spare, we’re here for you!
At a loss for what a deliberate self-care activity might look like?
- Schedule a quick coffee or breakfast date at Sunny Street Cafe or Cafe 23:5 with a friend to catch up on each other’s lives.
- Make time to attend a yoga class at Tree of Life Wellness Center.
- Shop for some new fall clothes at Carys Lane, Red Horse Boutique or Lone Star Dry Goods.
- Make an appointment for a massage or facial or to get your hair or nails done at Ziva Nail Lounge or 2 Ten Salon Studios. Better yet, schedule an entire spa day for yourself!
It’s easy to make excuses for NOT doing these things. Life is busy and it seems like there’s always something else to do that seems more important – laundry, grocery shopping, activities with the kids, work, the list goes on and on. We’re not saying those activities aren’t important but so is making time to give yourself some love.
So our challenge to you is as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Visit our web site.
- Pick out ONE self-care activity.
- Look at your calendar and make a date with yourself. No canceling allowed!